The Ministry of the Environment (MOE) says staff are at the site of Friday’s wind tower collapse to ensure that the company cleans up any spilled materials properly.
The MOE says it’s actively monitoring the situation and will ensure that the company determines the cause of the incident. The Ministry of Labour has also been notified and has sent an engineer to the site.
TerraForm Power contacted the ministry Friday morning about its wind turbine snapping in half at Drake Rd. and 16 Line in Chatham-Kent. The collapse happened early Friday morning. The turbine is part of the Raleigh Wind Farm.
The company is removing the damaged turbine and has shut down all 51 wind turbines until the cause of the collapse is known. Specialists will be assessing the incident.
The Ministry says it’s not aware of any similar incidents in the area previously.
Chatham-Kent police say nobody was hurt.
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding