[ exact phrase in "" ]

[ Google-powered ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

CK councilor threatens lawsuit against Water Wells First official  

Credit:  By Paul Pedro | Blackburn News | March 2, 2017 | blackburnnews.com ~~

Chatham-Kent Councillor Jeff Wesley is threatening legal action if he doesn’t receive a public apology from Water Wells First Spokesperson Kevin Jakubec.

Wesley has retained a lawyer and wants Jakubec to retract “defamatory comments” that have been made towards the councilor.

The comments stem from a “shame award” that was presented to Wesley in the form of a Pinocchio statue, by the group Water Wells First. Kacubec announced last week that the statue would be presented to Wesley, and made allegedly defamatory statements to the Wallaceburg Courier Press.

According to a letter sent by lawyer Michael Lerner, Kacubec has stated to the media that Wesley “misled the public” and he “cannot be trusted.”

Jakubec was given written notice dated March 1, stating that if he does not retract his statements and publicly apologize, he will be facing a defamation lawsuit. The notice also requests that “any defamatory references or statements be removed from the Water Wells First website.”

In the past, the group Water Wells First has also accused the local municipality and the Ministry of the Environment of not addressing concerns about a decrease in water quality due to wind turbine vibrations.

Lerner, who is representing Wesley, says Jakubec’s comments about the CK councilor are humiliating.

“Hopefully he’ll realize and appreciate that his conduct is unacceptable and he’ll take immediate steps to rectify the situation,” he says.

The letter sent to Jakubec goes on to say, “The false and defamatory statements have caused and are continuing to cause serious harm to Mr. Wesley’s professional and personal reputation.”

“Over many years Councillor Wesley has deservedly earned the respect of the people Chatham-Kent,” says Lerner.

Jakubec tells BlackburnNews.com that he will not be apologizing or retracting any comments. He adds that it’s unfortunate Wesley chose to pursue legal action, and urges the councillor to reconsider.

“He’s [been] given an opportunity to take back those comments and issue an apology. So, the next step will be up to Mr. Jakubec,” Lerner says.

Source:  By Paul Pedro | Blackburn News | March 2, 2017 | blackburnnews.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Contributions
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Formerly at windwatch.org.

HOME
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter