[ exact phrase in "" ]

[ Google-powered ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

National Grid urged to halt Mid Wales cable plans  

Credit:  Shropshire Star | September 29, 2015 | www.shropshirestar.com ~~

Campaigners fighting plans to build windfarms and turbines across Mid Wales have called on National Grid to formally withdraw its plans.

The Government threw out plans for four windfarms and an overhead pylon earlier this month, but Russell George, Montgomeryshire AM, said he wants National Grid to bring to an end its plans for a high voltage electricity connection line.

The line would have carried energy generated by the windfarms to the national supply at Lower Frankton, near Ellesmere.

The line would have travelled overhead on pylons or underground through the Meifod Valley and across the Shropshire border. Mr George said: “I’m fully aware of the different views on this issue.

“As somebody who has lobbied against the connection project, I of course welcome the decision by the UK government.

“It is a victory for local democracy and it is good news for Montgomeryshire.

“Both Glyn Davies MP and I are now pursuing confirmation from the National Grid that they will withdraw their proposals for the Mid Wales Connection project.

“As somebody who has been heavily involved in the protest movement to stop the connection project, I should feel much happier than I do. But I can’t help feeling frustrated that so many millions of pounds have been wasted.”

Earlier this month, Charles Green for Shropshire North Against Pylons, said members of the group are worried that house prices will be affected until National Grid drops the plans.

He added: “The elation of the government’s decision has been tempered by the fact that this has taken so long and that it is still having an effect on people’s lives.

“It has blighted the lives of ordinary people who have been unable to sell their homes because a pylon may have been within half a mile of their property.”

Powys County Councillor Avril York, cabinet member for regeneration and planning, added: “The council set out its position that the applications should be refused, given the number, size and impact of these applications and the scale of public opposition.”

Jeanette Unsworth, National Grid spokeswoman, said today: “We’re waiting to hear what the windfarm applicants’ intentions are following the DECC decision.

“As we’ve stated, we realise people will want to know as soon as possible exactly what this means for the Mid Wales Connection Project and we will update local people as quickly as we can on our work to connect windfarms in the area. If it’s established National Grid’s connection is not needed, we would not progress with our plans.”

Source:  Shropshire Star | September 29, 2015 | www.shropshirestar.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User contributions

Share:


« Later PostNews Watch HomeEarlier Post »

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Formerly at windwatch.org.

HOME
Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share