[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

LePage energy chief defends efforts to reopen offshore wind bids  

Credit:  Scott Thistle, State Politics Editor | Sun Journal | www.sunjournal.com ~~

AUGUSTA – Gov. Paul LePage’s top energy advisor Tuesday defended efforts the governor made to restart a bid process for an offshore wind power project along Maine’s coast.

Patrick Woodcock, the director of LePage’s Energy Office, said efforts it made to allow the University of Maine to bid on the project before the Maine Public Utilities Commission was meant to protect ratepayers and the state’s interests in general.

Norwegian energy giant Statoil previously had been awarded a term sheet for the project but LePage’s staff objected during negotiations on an omnibus energy bill that was passed by lawmakers in July.

“The truth is that the project’s benefits to Maine are ambiguous while the costs to our state are clear and real – nearly $200 million will need to be subsidized by Maine families and businesses,” Woodcock said in a prepared statement Tuesday. “This is the wrong direction for developing a new industry and antithetical to improving Maine’s business climate and reducing the energy bill burdens on Maine families.”

Woodcock also said that Statoil interfered in the earlier bid process preventing the the University of Maine from biding on the project.

“The fact of the matter was that the Statoil hindered the University of Maine from developing an alternative pilot project at a lower cost, and failed to provide assurances that our manufacturing sector will receive capital investments that will increase long-term employment in Maine,” Woodcock said. “It would have been irresponsible for the administration to remain silent.”

The Maine PUC received a bid from the university earlier in September and will be making a final decision on the contract by the end of December.

A spokesman for Statoil, based in Houston, denied the company did anything to interfere with the Univeristy of Maine in the initial bid process.

Ola Morten Aanestad said the company did not want to engage in any political discussions but did want to address Woodcock’s assertions Tuesday.

Aanestad said the company’s proposal, the Hywind Maine Project, was put on hold after the law change. He also refuted the company did anything to hinder competition in the market in Maine.

“Statoil welcomes the development of alternative floating concepts, as this will enhance the development of a floating market as such,” Aanestad wrote in an email. “We have been cooperating with the University of Maine since 2010. The University of Maine has always been a partner to the Hywind Maine project, and still is.”

Aanestad said the university did not respond to the PUC’s 2011 request for proposals and also offered its support to Statoil’s application.

In 2011, Statoil was the only company to respond to the RFP.

Aanestad also noted that the university, “had full insight into our approved term sheet while responding to the reopened RFP on 30 August this year.”

He went on to note that Statoil had also made “significant commitments to use Maine suppliers for the pilot project, both in the investment phase and in the operational phase of the project.”

Meanwhile, Jake Ward, UMaine’s vice president of innovation and economic development, tried to distance himself from Woodcock’s comments that Statoil “hindered” UMaine’s attempts to develop its technology.

He said the university had reached out to Statoil in the past about collaborating on a pilot project that would co-locate the two organizations’ very different technologies, and bringing that proposal to the U.S. Department of Energy, which will be doling out nearly $50 million to three offshore wind development projects. Statoil was not receptive to that idea, Ward said.

“While I might not have used the word hindered, they certainly have not embraced the idea that there are more technologies that are more cost effective and could have a more long-term effect on jobs,” he said, referring to Woodcock’s assertions that Statoil does not make enough of a commitment to create jobs and support businesses in Maine.

Tom Welch, commissioner of the PUC, wouldn’t comment on Woodcock’s statement, but said, “Agencies and the government and members of the public are free to characterize things as they see fit, but we see our role as the Public Utilities Commission to apply the statutes the Legislature gives to us to the facts of the case.”

Bangor Daily News staff writer Whit Richardson contributed to this report.

Source:  Scott Thistle, State Politics Editor | Sun Journal | www.sunjournal.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter