[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Turbine plan is approved – despite 615 objections  

Credit:  Thursday, September 19, 2013, By Marcus Boocock, nottinghampost.com ~~

A controversial wind turbine proposal has been rubber-stamped by councillors.

Severn Trent Water has been given permission to build the 100-metre turbine at its sewage works in Stoke Bardolph.

Members of Gedling Borough Council’s planning committee approved the move last night in spite of huge opposition from some committee members, residents of Stoke Bardolph and other nearby villages, and parish councils.

A total of 615 letters of objection had been sent to the borough council – with just nine letters backing it.

Objectors included the Gedling Sports Forum, the Gunn and Moore South Nottinghamshire Cricket League and Nottinghamshire Cricket Board Ltd.

After the 50-minute debate, one woman from nearby Woodborough said: “It’s disgraceful. We are supposed to have a public voice. All of those people voiced their opinion. But it has gone unheard.”

Burton Joyce parish councillor Steve Cluff, who spoke against the proposal during the meeting, refused to rule out seeking a judicial review to overturn the committee’s decision.

He told the Post: “We will study the decision and see what, if anything, can be done.”

During the meeting he claimed the proposal was not different enough from a previous application by Severn Trent, which was rejected by the borough council.

That one included two turbines rather than one, which would both have been higher at 132 metres.

But Mr Cluff told the meeting: “We have one less [turbine] and at a reduced height. But this is still huge – higher than the Victoria Centre flats. This is unacceptable.”

The water company says it will operate the turbine at Stoke Lane for the next 25 years. It predicts it will provide enough electricity to power 1,526 homes.

Ahead of the debate, a representative of Severn Trent told councillors the firm has also pledged to donate £25,000 for community facilities.

But that wasn’t enough to persuade Councillor Chris Barnfather, who was among three members who voted against it, pointing to the number of objectors and the fact it was on green-belt land.

He said: “This is a huge structure on a flat flood plain. This is an application on the same site. We have some variations but this should not alter the decision made 18 months ago.”

But the majority of councillors did favour the plan.

Councillor Marje Paling rubbished green-belt-related concerns, adding: “It will protect the green belt from other development.”

Councillor Peter Barnes said: “I think that the application is more acceptable than last time. I don’t see any problem with it.”

After the meeting, Roger Steele, of the Nottingham Pro-Wind Alliance, said: “We are delighted with the decision that has been made.”

Source:  Thursday, September 19, 2013, By Marcus Boocock, nottinghampost.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter