Sign up for daily updates

Help keep this education resource going strong!

More information

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups


[ exact phrase in "" ]

[ Google-powered ]

Location/Type

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Residents ready to fight electricity pylons plan  

Credit:  Carmarthen Journal | June 23, 2013 | www.thisissouthwales.co.uk ~~

Residents near Brechfa have started a petition against plans to build a connection between three proposed wind farms and the National Grid.

John James, of Fferm Tyllwyd, says landowners between Horeb and Felingwm Uchaf are opposing plans to place wooden poles and overhead cables on land in their area.

Western Power Distribution (WPD) revealed plans for the Brechfa Forest connection last week to Brechfa Forest West, Brechfa Forest East and Bryn Llywelyn to the Swansea North substation.

Mr James said: “We are objecting to any pylons or wooden poles coming on our land.”

Project

Mr James said he started the petition to inform WPD that the residents and landowners of the area will not be accepting the connection plans.

He said because the two communities are the nearest to the proposed Brechfa Wind Farm project, they will be the first to affected by the connection.

“This connection will destroy the beauty of this valley and it will do the same to the Cothi Valley and the Towy Valley.”

Mr James, who is the chairman of Llanegwad Community Council, said since plans for a Brechfa Forest wind farm were announced the council had objected strongly to the plans on the grounds that there was not sufficient information about the effect it would have on the health of residents and children.

“We seem to be paying for people who live in the cities and towns in South Wales and England who are over-using electricity,” he said.

Landowners living between Horeb and Felingwm Uchaf say they will refuse to allow anyone from companies working on the connection access to their land.

“We as residents and the community council have objected and I hope we will raise the issue so that other communities in the area start to realise what is happening.”

Mr James said they had no objections to the cables going underground.

“The only way forward as far as we are concerned is that no pylons, wooden or steel, will be put on our land.

“We will take them as far as possible — to the European Court if we have to — before they come on our land,” he added.

Source:  Carmarthen Journal | June 23, 2013 | www.thisissouthwales.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.


« Later PostNews Watch HomeEarlier Post »

Get the Facts
HOME ABOUT PRIVACY CONTACT DONATE
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Formerly at windwatch.org.

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share