Wind Aware Ireland will launch their new campaign and website on April 10th, 2014 from 10am at Buswells’ Hotel, Molesworth St., Dublin 2. We aim to hold policy makers to account to ensure that they act on evidence. We will provide a counter balance to business influence on the political process.
Wind Aware Ireland are bringing together a group of experts and formidable presenters to urge reform of the Irish government’s unsustainable wind energy policies. Our objective is to ensure that energy policies and developments fulfill the three pillars of sustainability; environmental, economic and social.
Who Are We?
Wind Aware Ireland is a non-profit, non-political alliance of community groups and individuals who challenge the Irish government’s current unsustainable wind energy policy. Wind Aware Ireland represents community groups and individuals concerned about current wind energy plans as well as the associated grid and substation infrastructure upgrades necessary to support wind energy.
The event is taking place on April 10th in Buswells’ Hotel (Dublin City) at 10am.
Confirmed speakers include:
• Fr. Sean Healy is an economist and the Director of Social Justice Ireland who provide analysis and policy to improve society and the lives of people in Ireland through focusing on human rights. He contributes to media debate on social justice and the widening gap between rich and poor in Ireland.
• Don Moore is Chairman of the Energy Standing Committee of the Irish Academy of Engineering (IAE) who have advised on achieving Ireland’s energy and CO2 reduction targets. The IAE have recognised the need for alternative policies to achieve these targets while maintaining competitiveness and reasonable electricity prices.
• Jim Power is Chief Economist at Friends First Group, one of Europe’s largest insurance groups. He previously worked as Chief Economist at Bank of Ireland Group and Treasury Economist at AIB Group. He is a frequent contributor to radio and TV.
• Senator John Whelan is a Labour party senator representing Laois/Offaly. He has consistently opposed his party on the issue of wind energy. He is a journalist of 30 years and has worked as editor of several local newspapers. He has been a long time commentator on current affairs from the midlands for the national media.
• Marian Harkin MEP is an Independent MEP. She is in her second European term and previously represented Sligo/Leitrim as a TD in Dail Eireann. Her work on the Petitions Committee, involves connecting ordinary citizens to the EU Institutions to try to resolve issues where there is non compliance with EU legislation.
In order to ensure that you receive the most appropriate and targeted information from Wind Aware Ireland, can you please confirm that you (or a colleague) will be attending so that we have the appropriate individual available to you, adequate space, internet access and facilities for you.
As further speakers are yet to be confirmed, a final schedule will follow.