[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

when your community is targeted

Get weekly updates

RSS feeds and more

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate via Stripe

Donate via Paypal

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Campaign Material

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

Wind Watch is a registered educational charity, founded in 2005.

News Watch Home

Wynyard A689 wind farm is shut down as investigation into turbine blaze begins 

Credit:  By Gavin Ledwith | Hartlepool Mail | Friday, 27th September 2019 | www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk ~~

The turbine during the fire on Thursday night, left, and on Friday morning, right.

A wind farm has temporarily shut down while an investigation into a turbine blaze begins.

Flames could be seen around 10 miles away from the site at Swainston Lane, near High Swainston Farm, close to the A689 at Wynyard, on Thursday evening.

The blaze also triggered more than 90 calls to Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service after it started at around 5.45pm.

Crews from Newton Aycliffe and Peterlee stations were there in turn for three hours as they monitored the burning blade.

The turbine minus its blade on Friday morning.

They left at around 8.50pm after they ensured the site was safe when the blade fell to the ground.

A spokeswoman for site operator EDF Renewables confirmed on Friday morning that the wind farm had closed down while a full investigation takes place into the cause of the blaze.

She added: “A fire on one of our turbines at Walkway wind farm has been contained by Durham and Darlington fire and rescue service.

“They were on the scene just off the A689 between Sedgefield and Billingham, in County Durham, last night and we would like to thank them for their help.”

Crews from Newton Aycliffe and Peterlee attended Thursday evening’s fire. Picture: Sam Kinnersley

“Everybody is safe after the fire started at around six o’clock last night. It is too early to say what the cause was and there will be a full investigation.”

Walkway wind farm has been in operation since 2008 and it has seven two megawatt turbines.

A fire service spokeswoman said: “We were there waiting for the blade to drop off and then we handed over to EDF at 8.51pm.”

Source:  By Gavin Ledwith | Hartlepool Mail | Friday, 27th September 2019 | www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial educational effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Contributions
   Donate via Stripe
(via Stripe)
Donate via Paypal
(via Paypal)


e-mail X FB LI M TG TS G Share

Tag: Accidents

News Watch Home

Get the Facts
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.


Wind Watch on X Wind Watch on Facebook Wind Watch on Linked In

Wind Watch on Mastodon Wind Watch on Truth Social

Wind Watch on Gab Wind Watch on Bluesky