The last last remaining wind turbine at Hunterston is to be blown up later this month.
The original intention had been to dismantle the components of the 177m 6MW Siemens turbine by crane but technical issues have put paid to this plan.
Instead a controlled demolition with explosives will take place on September 19, weather permitting.
Bosses at SSE say that the decision has been taken following consultation with police, North Ayrshire Council and Hunterston Nuclear Station, due to the close proximity of the power plant.
Scottish Natural Heritage and the Civil Nuclear Police at Hunterston have also been consulted.
Principal contractors Keltbray will be securing the site in the days leading up to the blast and will establish an exclusion zone on the day.
Independent councillor Ian Murdoch told SSE that he had been contacted by concerned residents, while Fairlie Community Council and Cumbrae Community Council have also raised questions about the demolition blast.
Cllr Murdoch asked SSE and the local authority about dust extraction and pollution control measures.
He has been told that there will be dust control mitigation while oils, lubricants and contained pressure gasses have already been removed from the turbine.
Keltbray say they will have a team ready on site to respond to any residual spills and will also have lined skips on site ready to respond.
The area will be dampened by water before, during and after the felling operation to contain fibreglass dust.
The blades will break on impact and a full tidy up of the area will be conducted, with the turbine felled in a direction to keep it as far from the water as possible.
Cllr Murdoch has been assured that due to the direction of the felling the risk of blade fragments making it to the sea is very low.
SSE say they waited until the bird breeding season was over and that the young will have fledged before they proceed with the works.
Cllr Murdoch says he has been advised that North Ayrshire Council, Scottish Natural Heritage and Police Scotland are ‘happy with the mitigation measures which will be in place.’
He added: “They managed to take the first turbine – the 197m Mitsubishi Sea Angel – down with cranes, so many people asked why the same thing can’t happen here.”
A North Ayrshire Council spokesperson said: “SSE has advised that the remaining wind turbine is due to be demolished in the next few weeks.
“They had originally planned to demolish it by use of a crane.
“However, the Health and Safety Executive has required another method to be used, and SSE is now planning to bring down the turbine by a controlled detonation.
“The turbine would then be dismantled on the ground.
“The detonation is planned for Thursday 19 September, weather permitting.
“If it cannot be done that day, it will be done sometime before 1st October.
“The detonation should take place between 10am and 4pm.
“Whilst there is not a breach of planning control, officers have asked that SSE make locals aware and SSE will contact the liaison group.”
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding