[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Get weekly updates

when your community is targeted


RSS feeds and more

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate via Paypal

Donate via Stripe

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Campaign Material

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

News Watch Home

Union calls for action after wind farm death 

Credit:  Stephen Bark | Cumnock Chronicle | www.cumnockchronicle.com ~~

A union has called on the UK Government and Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to take action after a pensioner died following an incident at Afton Wind Farm on Sunday.

The 74-year-old man, who has yet to be named, and his 42-year-old colleague became stranded in the heavy snow before being rescued by the Police Scotland Mountain Rescue Team.

It was the third death at a wind farm in recent times and Unite Scotland are now urging the HSE to act now to stiffen the laws governing the construction and maintenance of windfarms.

Stevie Dillion of Unite Scotland said: “How long is it going to be before the Government and HSE take action to prevent these totally avoidable deaths? How many more workers will perish because nothing has been done to establish proper legal safeguards for the construction and maintenance of wind farms?”

“Our experience shows that some of the conditions which workers on windfarms have to put up with represent a return to the ‘bad old days’ in the construction industry before unionisation. Of course the laws governing wind farms should be a special case. But right now Unite is building the union on wind farm sites to fight for better terms and safer working conditions.”

The two men were left without heat or power at the wind farm near to Craigdarroch Farm in New Cumnock on Sunday night. It is understood they struggled to call for help but it is not known how long they were in difficulty. Police Scotland’s Mountain Rescue Team traced the pair after the alarm was finally raised and the elderly man was airlifted to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary where he died a short time later.

Source:  Stephen Bark | Cumnock Chronicle | www.cumnockchronicle.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial educational effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
   Donate via Paypal
(via Paypal)
Donate via Stripe
(via Stripe)


e-mail X FB LI TG TG Share

Tag: Accidents

News Watch Home

Get the Facts
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.


Wind Watch on X Wind Watch on Facebook

Wind Watch on Linked In Wind Watch on Mastodon