[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

News Watch Home

Pole to stay grounded  

Credit:  By David Loughrey | Otago Daily Times | 24 May 2017 | www.odt.co.nz ~~

The trust proposing a wind farm near Blueskin Bay says it does not plan to re-erect a 30m pole with data collection equipment toppled in an act of vandalism recently.

The Blueskin Resilient Communities Trust says it has enough data to head to the Environment Court to appeal a consent decision released last year that denied consent for the wind farm.

Project manager Scott Willis said he still hoped police might catch the perpetrator.

”At some point – this is a small community – someone will talk,” he said.

The trust was denied consent after the proposal drew the ire of nearby neighbours, who said property prices, quality of life and health would be negatively affected by the wind farm.

The pole had been fitted with sensitive instruments, including wind vanes, anemometers to record wind speed and solar panels to provide power.

The data was to be used to provide evidence in the trust’s appeal in the Environment Court, set down for June 26.

Some time near the start of this month guy wires securing the pole on Porteous Hill were cut, probably with bolt-cutters, and the structure brought down.

Mr Willis said the pole and data collection gear would not be going back up.

While the vandalism was ”sad, and a criminal act”, it would not derail the Environment Court process.

It had delayed collection of data by a week, but the trust was able, through MetService, to synthesis data that could be used.

The site also had ”probably the most wind data collection of any wind site in New Zealand”.

That meant a report being produced for the court could be completed.

Mr Willis said police had told him they were making inquiries.

”The perpetrator hasn’t turned themselves in.

”We’ve left it with the police.”

Source:  By David Loughrey | Otago Daily Times | 24 May 2017 | www.odt.co.nz

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook


© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.



Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

National Wind Watch