[ exact phrase in "" ]

[ Google-powered ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Cork residents lose bid to appeal against windfarm  

Credit:  Ann O’Loughlin | Irish Examiner | Tuesday, April 25, 2017 | www.irishexaminer.com ~~

A High Court judge has refused to allow a number of local residents appeal his decision rejecting their challenge to permission for a windfarm development in Co Cork.

The concerns of residents included the environmental impact of the development and noise from the turbines.

They had disputed An Bord Pleanála’s June 2016 permission for a six-turbine windfarm, substation, underground cables, and associated development in the townlands of Derragh, Rathgaskig and Lack Beg at Ballingeary.

The High Court had in 2014 quashed an earlier permission by the Board to Framore Ltd for the development after finding an environmental impact assessment (EIA) of the proposed development had to be considered as part of an overall assessment of how the turbines will be connected to the national power grid.

Rejecting arguments by the board and Framore that the turbines and grid connection were separate projects, the court said an EIA of the 100m turbines could not be considered separately from the grid connection which could involve overhead or underground lines.

Framore had argued that it could not include the grid connection in the EIA for the turbines because proposals had not yet been formulated by ESB Networks for design of such a connection.

Following that High Court decision, Framore revised its planning application to relocate one turbine 50m from its original proposed location to ensure all turbines were a minimum 500m from all residences. The application was also revised to provide for underground cabling between the site substation and the national electricity grid substation near Kilgarvan, Co Kerry.

After the board granted permission in 2016 for the revised application, the families challenged that.

In a reserved judgment last January, Mr Justice Brian McGovern dismissed their case. He found the board did what the previous High Court decision required it to do and he also dismissed arguments the EIA carried out by the Board was inadequate.

The residents sought to appeal that decision to the Court of Appeal but, in a judgment yesterday, the judge refused the certificate to allow them appeal. He found they had failed to show his January judgment had raised a point of law of exceptional public importance entitling them to an appeal and also held an appeal was not necessary in the public interest.

The judge said he disagreed there was some uncertainty arising from his finding an adequate EIA had been carried out after the matter was remitted to the board. The fact the applicants disagreed with his finding on the EIA did not mean there was any uncertainty on that issue, he said.

Source:  Ann O’Loughlin | Irish Examiner | Tuesday, April 25, 2017 | www.irishexaminer.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Contributions
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Formerly at windwatch.org.

HOME
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter