[ exact phrase in "" ]

[ Google-powered ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Why a Swansea councillor quit authority’s planning committee over planned wind farm  

Credit:  By Geraint Thomas | South Wales Evening Post | July 22, 2016 | www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk ~~

A long-serving Swansea councillor has quit his seat on the local authority’s planning committee in protest of his colleagues’ decision to allow a wind farm to be built on moorland to the north of the city.

Councillor Ioan Richard, who has represented the Mawr ward for over 30 years, said the move was prompted by the recent news that RWE Innogy UK were poised to go ahead with a 16 turbine wind farm on Mynydd y Gwair near Felindre after the Welsh Government finally made a ruling following a long drawn-out row over the use of common land.

The firm had already been given the necessary planning consent for the by Swansea Council which is something the retired teacher who has campaigned against what he sees as “the vandalism of landscape on a gigantic scale” has never forgotten.

Following the announcement of his decision to stand down, he said: “It is a disgrace, many of my constituents in Mawr cannot get planning permission for modest bungalows or household extensions because of landscape or design objections and restrictions, yet approval has now been given for giant Wind Turbines and multiple access tracks all across a most scenic landscape.

“This will be a massive loss to Swansea, all for just an erratic average 12MW of electric into the UK Grid that consumes 40,000 MW. It will effectively be a printing machine of millions of pounds of our subsidy money for RWE and the Duke of Beaufort’s family.

“I have served on the planning committees for 31 years and this is a gross injustice and vandalism of landscape on a gigantic scale which will do nothing to avert climate change. To put it simply, I am gutted and no longer wish to serve as a planning committee member.”

He added that his place on the planning committee was being taken by Penyrheol councillor David Cole.

Councillor Paul Lloyd, chairman of the planning committee said that he was sad to hear the news.

He added: “Mr Richard was always a respected member of the planning committee and we valued his opinions and comments.”

Source:  By Geraint Thomas | South Wales Evening Post | July 22, 2016 | www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User contributions

Share:


« Later PostNews Watch HomeEarlier Post »

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Formerly at windwatch.org.

HOME
Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share