[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


News Home

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

Funds allocated for Somerset turbine studies  

Credit:  By Rachel Fuerschbach | Lockport Union-Sun & Journal | January 21, 2016 | www.lockportjournal.com ~~

SOMERSET – Apex Clean Energy has divvied up funding for attorneys and engineers to review its preliminary scoping statement pertaining to the Lighthouse Wind turbine project.

As required by state law, Apex allocated the intervenor funds – money used to pay for the reviews – between the towns of Somerset and Yates and the citizen group Save Ontario Shores. Administrative law judges from the state Department of Public Service made the decision on how much each would receive Thursday.

The judges determined that Save Ontario Shores would receive $9,500; Yates would receive $20,500; and Somerset would receive $40,350.

Initially, Somerset requested $70,350, although officials project a total of $95,550 of expenses.

The Save Ontario Shores group requested $19,430, which would be used to pay for studies on acoustic and electrical grid impacts of the wind turbines. Studies would also look at viable alternatives, how wildlife is impacted, and other water resources and biodiversity studies. Yates requested for a total of $26,381 for similar studies.

The amounts were calculated based on an assumption that 25 percent of the funding would be left available for local parties. The remaining 75 percent was supposed to be split between Yates and Somerset.

However, since the amount requested by Somerset is the entire intervenor fund amount, the amounts requested by each group could not be granted.

The state Department of Public Service said the funding will be used to pay for services incurred as of the date the preliminary scoping statement was filed, which was Nov. 23.

The judges suggested to the towns and Save Ontario Shores they work together in order to get the “best bang for their buck.”

In addition, the administrative law judges of the Department of Public Services moved to deny the motions made by the town of Somerset to strike the preliminary scoping statement from the record. Somerset made the request because officials felt there weren’t enough details in the document and wanted to have Lighthouse Wind to file a new, more detailed statement.

The decision to deny the motions was made because there is no provision under the regulations that would procedurally allow that the statement be stricken. Apex now has until Feb. 11 to summarize and respond to comments.

Source:  By Rachel Fuerschbach | Lockport Union-Sun & Journal | January 21, 2016 | www.lockportjournal.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook


© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.