[ exact phrase in "" ]

[ Google-powered ]


News Home

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

Chislet campaigners declare victory after energy giant suspends windfarm plans  

Credit:  Canterbury Times | September 24, 2015 | www.canterburytimes.co.uk ~~

Chislet campaigners are celebrating, after the energy giant RES suspended plans to build a new Windfarm in their area.

The energy firm started a consultation in May, with plans to build a new wind farm on land near the A299 Thanet Way. But, the consultation was derailed when dozens of opposing residents, the Stop Chislet Windfarm group, and the area’s MP, Sir Roger Gale, appeared at a public consultation at the end of July.

In a statement, RES said they were putting the idea of a windfarm at Chislet on hold, but did not mention public opposition as a factor in their decision. Instead, the company claims they are stopping their consultation because the land may be needed for housing, as part of revisions being made to the area’s Local Plan.

Helen Wilson, RES Development Manager, said: “We still believe that the site is a good place for renewable energy generation and would like to thank everyone who has participated in our consultation so far. However, we are equally aware that there are a number of other developments being consulted upon for the surrounding area alongside the Local Plan, including new power lines and various proposed housing developments.

“RES has therefore decided to suspend further discussion of its Chislet Wind Farm proposal until the Local Plan has been progressed further. This will allow us to have a clearer understanding of the landscape and residential amenity requirements that any proposed wind farm project would need to take into account.”

Campaigners at the Stop Chislet Windfarm group took the news as a great victory, but warned “We’ve won the battle, but maybe not the war!”

A spokesperson for the group said: “It’s very likely that everyones hard work and the huge local opposition to the plans have had an impact on this decision but RES do not want to publicly acknowledge this in fear of it affecting other planning applications and giving hope to other local residents faced with wind farms on their doorsteps. Land owners could have also pulled out due to pressure from us.

“Either way, it’s a great victory for every single person involved and living alongside the Wantsum marshes.

“A huge thank you to everyone that’s helped and shown support over the summer. With everyone’s help and involvement, we HAVE made a difference!”

Source:  Canterbury Times | September 24, 2015 | www.canterburytimes.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User contributions


Tag: Victories

« Later PostNews Watch HomeEarlier Post »

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook


© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Formerly at windwatch.org.

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook