[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]



LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Campaigners’ ‘delight’ as controversial Cumbria turbines plan withdrawn  

Credit:  Liz Roberts, Reporter | grough | Saturday 28 June 2014 | www.grough.co.uk ~~

Campaigners have welcomed the news that plans to build three massive wind turbines close to a national park have been dropped.

The Open Spaces Society said it was delighted that the proposals for the turbines near Killington Reservoir had been shelved.

The site, west of Sedbergh, is only 3km (2 miles) from the western boundary of the Yorkshire Dales national park and is near the gateway to the Lake District from the M6 motorway.

Banks Renewables applied for permission to erect three 433ft-high turbines at the Cumbrian site.

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Eric Pickles, called in the application last March after South Lakeland District Council approved it, against the officer’s recommendation, in February.

The Open Spaces Society, Friends of Eden, Lakeland and Lunedale Scenery, the Friends of the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales Society all objected and a public inquiry was scheduled for September.

Now the Planning Inspectorate has announced that the application has been withdrawn.

Kate Ashbrook, general secretary of the Open Spaces Society, said: ‘This is splendid news. The development had far-reaching, national implications.

“The site is close to the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District national parks and the whole region is immensely popular for quiet recreation.

“The 132m-high turbines would have destroyed many of the magnificent views over a wide area including that of the Howgills from the M6 motorway.

“We are relieved that the developers have backed down.”

Source:  Liz Roberts, Reporter | grough | Saturday 28 June 2014 | www.grough.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:

Tag: Victories


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter