[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

when your community is targeted

Get weekly updates

RSS feeds and more

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate via Stripe

Donate via Paypal

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Campaign Material

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

Wind Watch is a registered educational charity, founded in 2005.

News Watch Home

Cause of Mill Run turbine collapse still being investigated 

Credit:  By Karl Polacek | Monday, April 14, 2014 | triblive.com ~~

The wreckage of the wind turbine in Mill Run that fell on the evening of Jan. 15 has now been removed.

And one of the other turbines that had not been operating since that day has been restarted.

According to Steve Stengal, spokesperson for Nextera, the corporation’s team is continuing to evaluate the conditions that caused the collapse of a wind turbine at Mill Run on Jan. 15.

“In addition to our ongoing analysis, as a precaution, we have removed from service a few turbines that exhibited any similar conditions to the turbine that failed,” said Stengal via email.

It was on the evening of Jan. 15 when Wayne and Ruth Steyer, who live along Clay Run Road, had unusual experiences. Wayne, 75, was watching television about 9 p.m. when the power flickered. His wife, Ruth, 73, heard a loud rumble. She thought it was thunder, even though there was no indication of a storm.

The Steyer’s daughter-in-law, Trudy, 45, who, with her husband, Ronald, live next door, said she also heard the rumble and felt her house shake.

“I thought it was thunder snow,” she said. “We get that a lot of that up here in the winter.”

Trudy and her daughter, Laura, said they ran out onto the porch and looked up the hill toward the ridge line.

“What’s that lump,” Trudy said she asked? “And where is that windmill (wind turbine that used to stand at that location?)”

Ruth Steyer said crews had finally removed the wreckage of the wind turbine that fell on what was once the Steyer’s property. All that is left is a line of dirt that marks the place where the tower fell.

“We’ve never heard a word from them (Nextera,)” said Ruth, when asked if the company contacted them.

No additional information was available from the company.

Source:  By Karl Polacek | Monday, April 14, 2014 | triblive.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial educational effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
   Donate via Stripe
(via Stripe)
Donate via Paypal
(via Paypal)


e-mail X FB LI M TG TS G Share

News Watch Home

Get the Facts
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.


Wind Watch on X Wind Watch on Facebook Wind Watch on Linked In

Wind Watch on Mastodon Wind Watch on Truth Social

Wind Watch on Gab Wind Watch on Bluesky