[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Energy firms propose less turbines for Dudgeon offshore wind farm off Cromer coast  

Credit:  Lucy Clapham | Eastern Daily Press | Thursday, July 11, 2013 | www.edp24.co.uk ~~

The energy companies behind the £1.5bn Dudgeon offshore wind farm off the coast of Cromer are proposing to cut the number of turbines that would go up on site.

Statoil and Statkraft – the Norwegian companies that took over the scheme last year – want to slash the number of turbines from 170 to between 60 and 80, as they say it will make the scheme more energy efficient.

And while they are keen to build less turbines they are proposing to increase the size of the site, from 35sq km to 55sq km, so the bladed structures can be spaced further apart.

Mike Corney, project developer, explained the bid to reduce the number of turbines had come about through a review.

“We have done a lot more site surveys and looked at what was consented (to be built) and what we actually want to do and came to the conclusion to have 170 odd turbines is not very energy efficient,” he said. “We want to build something that’s highly efficient even though it’s smaller.”

As well as extending the site – 32km off the coast of Cromer – the firms are also proposing to use two different foundations for the turbines to offset the risk of instability thrown up by the chalk sea bed.

One of the proposed foundation platforms uses suction to attach itself to the seabed and can be easily removed.

Mr Corney said the proposed changes would have a “lesser impact on the environment” and they had received positive feedback from residents when they were presented at a public exhibition in Cromer yesterday.

“We’ve not had anybody that’s been anti-wind,” he added.

The trimmed down turbine scheme is now expected to produce 400mw of power, which the energy firms say will power 250,000 homes.

The proposed changes are expected to be submitted to the Marine Management Organisation and the government’s Department of Energy and Climate Change by the end of the month.

It is hoped the onshore work can begin next year with the construction of a sub-station in Necton, followed by the start of offshore construction in 2016.

Source:  Lucy Clapham | Eastern Daily Press | Thursday, July 11, 2013 | www.edp24.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter