[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Get weekly updates

when your community is targeted


RSS feeds and more

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate via Paypal

Donate via Stripe

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Campaign Material

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

Wind Watch is a registered educational charity, founded in 2005.

News Watch Home

Ed Davey warns wind farm companies about Scottish independence 

Credit:  By Simon Johnson, Scottish Political Editor | The Telegraph | 19 March 2013 | www.telegraph.co.uk ~~

A separate Scotland’s wind farm companies would face “serious competition” from other countries to sell their energy to the remainder of the UK, the Energy Secretary has warned the industry.

Ed Davey told the Scottish Renewables annual conference in Edinburgh that its members could no longer rely on subsidies from energy bill payers across the UK to make a profit.

Instead wind farm companies in Scotland would have to compete with green energy providers in countries like Norway and Ireland to supply the remainder of the UK.

Mr Davey warned it would be much more difficult for Scottish wind farms to provide energy at a competitive price if they relied on subsidies from just two-and-a-half million households rather than more than 23 million homes across Britain.

The Liberal Democrat delivered his warning as Scottish Renewables produced an opinion poll that claimed 62 per cent of people would be happy for a large wind farm to be built in their council area.

However, the You Gov survey raised further concerns about the effect on Scottish tourism after less than seven out of ten people responded that the presence of a wind farm would not affect their decision to visit an area.

It also emerged that an anti-wind farm campaign group is to stage a march at the SNP’s spring conference in Inverness on Saturday in protest at the spread of turbines across Scotland’s countryside.

Mr Davey told the conference he supported Alex Salmond’s plan to generate the equivalent of all Scotland’s electricity from renewable sources by the end of the decade.

But he said it would be a “daunting task” that would be further undermined by separation, before rejecting the SNP’s claim that the remainder of the UK would have to buy a separate Scotland’s green energy.

“An independent Scotland will be just that – independent – treated by the UK as just one of a number of countries it could buy renewables from,” he told the conference.

“We are pursuing a number of interconnection projects with our European neighbours, including Norway and Ireland. For an independent Scotland, this would potentially represent serious competition.

“If the UK were to look beyond its borders for renewable energy, we would need to consider which sources provide the cheapest and most reliable options for our people.”

He compared this situation with the current single energy market across the UK, which gives Scottish energy providers automatic access to more than 23 households.

According to the Scottish Renewables poll, conducted by YouGov, 69 per cent of people say their visit an area of Scotland would not be affected by the presence of a wind farm. However, this leaves 31 per cent who refused to provide this guarantee.

Mike MacKenzie, an SNP MSP, said the survey showed Scots “are enthusiastic” about renewable energy.

But campaign group Scotland Against Spin is to stage a march on Saturday “to let the SNP know we have had enough of their industrial turbines, their disregard of the Scottish people and the destruction of our precious scenery.”

Source:  By Simon Johnson, Scottish Political Editor | The Telegraph | 19 March 2013 | www.telegraph.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial educational effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
   Donate via Paypal
(via Paypal)
Donate via Stripe
(via Stripe)


e-mail X FB LI TG TG Share

News Watch Home

Get the Facts
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.


Wind Watch on X Wind Watch on Facebook

Wind Watch on Linked In Wind Watch on Mastodon