[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

£10,000 court costs in turbine consent row  

Credit:  Kingsbridge & Salcombe Gazette | www.kingsbridge-today.co.uk 31 August 2012 ~~

South Hams Council has been forced by the threat of a judicial review to withdraw its planning consent for the wind turbine that has been erected on high ground close to Chivelstone Cross, near Kingsbridge.
Andrew Wakeham, of Chivelstone Barton Farm, had applied for the 15Kw, 20 meter high wind turbine last October.
Despite a full meeting of the council planning committee earlier this year, on the February 15, and strong local opposition including that of Ed Brown the council’s planning officer dealing with the matter, the vote went in favour of the application.
Concerned that the planning application process may not have been correctly followed, local resident John Casson engaged the services of leading environment law experts Richard Buxton Associates.
They took advice from one the UK’s leading barristers and consequently wrote to South Hams Council bringing to their attention that an environmental impact report should have been called for and considered.
John Casson said: ‘I am very concerned that the planning application process has not been followed correctly and that is totally unacceptable’.
He went on to say, ‘Chivelstone and the surrounding area is a public amenity and determined as one of outstanding natural beauty.
‘The area depends heavily on a strong tourist industry which benefits the whole community, including farmers who have diversified.
‘This wind turbine can be seen for miles around and undoubtedly has an adverse impact on the environment.’
The first response from the council was to deny that they had failed in the planning process but, after further communication from John Casson’s lawyers and a threat of a Judicial Review, the council sought advice and then conceded that they should have requested an environmental impact report.
A consent order has now been agreed, the legal action withdrawn, South Hams Council forced to withdraw the planning application agreeing to pay John Casson’s legal costs of £10,000.
John Casson added: ‘At a time when councils need to save money, a large amount has already been wasted in legal costs, both mine – largely paid for by the council – and theirs, ultimately a cost the tax payer will have to bear as a result of South Hams Council’s failings.’
A spokesman for South Hams Council, said: ‘Permission for the wind turbine has been quashed after the council agreed to a consent order.
‘The council has acted to minimise legal costs and we accept that, on this occasion, we did not apply the correct tests in the initial part of the planning process.
‘The court did not rule on the planning merits of the development.
‘We apologise for the error.
‘The planning application for the wind turbine is due to go back to the development management committee for reconsideration.’

Source:  Kingsbridge & Salcombe Gazette | www.kingsbridge-today.co.uk 31 August 2012

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

 Follow: