The latest High Court challenge to ten giant wind turbines on the marshes near Bradwell is set for March 1 to 3.
Lawyers acting on behalf of the campaign group BATTLE (Bradwell & Tillingham Tackling Lost Environment) are seeking a judicial review of the Planning Inspectorate’s decision to grant permission for RWE npower to build the 400-ft high turbines .
The company says this will produce enough green electricity to meet the average annual electricity demand for up to 10,600 homes
RWE npower renewables project manager Michael Williams said: “As the development has received consent and currently remains consented, we have commenced work to enable us to meet our pre-start planning conditions.
“We are confident that the project is in a good location and complies with all of the relevant planning policies.”
Construction work is scheduled to start later this year and generation will begin in 2012.
Neil Yates, of BATTLE, said: ” Our lawyers are optimistic. What really annoys you is that no-one can accuse us of being Nimbys because a majority here are quite prepared to put up with another nuclear power station.”
The planning inspector’s decision, which allows the go-ahead, is being challenged on eight grounds.
So far the BATTLE-led fight has cost £80,000 and it is estimated another £10,000-£15,000 will have to be raised for this legal challenge, the second by the group.
Meanwhile, two other wind farm applications for the Dengie are on the table.
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding