ST. PAUL – The AWA Goodhue wind project is scheduled for final discussion before the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission on Nov. 23.
The commission will decide whether to allow a rehearing of National Wind’s controversial 78-megawatt project in Goodhue County. Lawyers for the company outlined their reasons for a rehearing in a 28-page document that was filed last week.
After the county adopted a stringent, 10-rotor setback for properties not participating the project, the commission ruled on Oct. 21 that the project needed further review by an administrative law judge. That process is expected to take about six months, which throws a wrench into financial planning for National Wind, the project developer.
“The long document that went out last week requesting reconsideration contains pretty much all of our reasoning and our backup,” National Wind communications director Joe Jennings said. “I don’t think there’s any reason for us to necessarily submit any more information. Obviously, this is something where we’re happy they responded quickly, and we’re happy to be getting a hearing where they’ll consider to reconsider their decision.”
Chuck Burdick, senior wind developer with National Wind, says his biggest concerns are that “the excessive rules are unnecessary to protect health and safety” and that “a county should not be able to impose de facto prohibition on energy development.”
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding