I am a former resident of Cumberland.
Recently while traveling on business I drove from Somerset (Pa.) to Cumberland via U.S. Route 219. While not a “tree hugger” the visual eyesore of 40-story wind turbines atop mountain vistas was disturbing.
The recent article on wind farms and the debate reported by the Times-News leads me to contribute my thoughts while on and after my drive.
1. What value are the residents of the area receiving from these farms?
2. Is this energy remaining local?
3. What amount of generated energy remains if any?
3. If the state leases land where does the money go?
4. What if any community re-investment from a publicly traded company (Clipper Windpower) and a privately held company (US WindForce ) do or will you receive?
5. Does a private landowner selling his property have a responsibility to the community?
Demand an accounting.
I am pro-business but if the answers to the above are little or none my suggestion is to put them in their own backyard and not yours.
Mount Sterling, Ohio
3 April 2008
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding