[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Otago wind farm could be much bigger  

The controversial Project Hayes wind farm in Otago could be almost twice as big as originally planned, according to a council planner.

On the second-to-last day of a council hearing into plans for the wind farm on the Lammermoor Range near Dunedin, an attachment to a Contact Energy submission already presented revealed that land had been earmarked for 113 turbines, in addition to the 176 proposed by Meridian Energy.

The submission was not publicly read when it was first presented and was included yesterday in the closing report from Central Otago District Council planning consultant David Whitney.

The information was theoretically already in the public domain, but it was an attachment and “buried in the papers”, Mr Whitney said.

He realised making it part of his report would make it more public.

Meridian Energy downplayed the revelation but admitted additional turbines could not be ruled out.

The submission showed the 176 turbines could be only stage one of the project, with stage two initiating “plan changes within the Dunedin City Council boundary”, and stage three the consent of another 113 turbines within the council boundary.

No specific site had been identified for the extra turbines, but Mr Whitney said it seemed land to the south and west of the Project Hayes site on the Lammermoor Range had been “earmarked for additional wind turbines in the future”.

The possibility of extra wind turbines was being investigated but was just one of many options being considered nationwide, Meridian spokesman Alan Seay told the Otago Daily Times.

“We wouldn’t rule it in or out at this stage.”

He said information about the extra 113 wind turbines was part of a confidential briefing made by Meridian to Contact Energy last year, to give Contact the “widest possible context of what could happen” with Meridian’s wind farm development.

The hearing was yesterday adjourned until next Friday. Mr Seay said counsel for Meridian, Andrew Beatson, would respond to the issue in his closing submissions then.

NZPA

Yahoo Xtra News

14 June 2007

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter