- This is a community-based survey; members of the community were encouraged to respond to a contact flyer. It’s a self-reporting survey which is a valid approach.
- This survey reproduces the work of U.K. physician Dr. Amanda Harry (2007).
- There were no restrictions placed on distribution or access to the survey. As a result, hard copy and electronic copies were sent on request. Standard protocol was used to protect confidentiality and data integrity.
- Victims are self-reporting. This follows the principle of Health Canada’s Canada Vigilance.
- Distribution started the end of March, 2009 and within 6 weeks, 76 responses were received with 53 reporting adverse health effects.
- A cover page was sent with the surveys giving instructions and identifying exclusions:
- If more than 1 adult in the home is affected, please have each adult fill out a separate questionnaire.
- This questionnaire may be filled out by a person 18 years of age or older who is fluent in English.
- This questionnaire will NOT be used by anyone with any cognitive impairment
- Some requested surveys online and there were no restrictions regarding distribution.
- Surveys were returned to designated address.
- There are 585 operating turbines across Ontario. The wind turbine complexes implicated include:
- Melancthon Phase 1 and 2, Canadian Hydro Wind Developers, Shelburne,
- Kingsbridge 1 Wind Power, Goderich,
- Kruger Energy Port Alma,
- Ripley Wind Power, Ripley,
- Enbridge Ontario Wind Farm, Kincardine
- Erie Shores Wind Farm, Port Burwell.
- The reports of symptoms are consistent with the work of Dr. Amanda Harry, U.K., Dr. Nina Pierpont, U.S.A., and Dr. Michael Nissenbaum, U.S.A.
- Reports of health problems are still coming in. The survey will be ongoing and results will be updated periodically.
If you have not yet received a survey and live nearby an existing windfarm please contact us and we will ensure you are provided with one.
Download original document: “Health Survey Abstract, Results, and Responses”
This article is the work of the author(s) indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding