Local MP supports effort to halt turbines | By Bob Boughner, Chatham Daily News | Monday, April 8, 2013 | www.theobserver.caLocal MP supports effort to halt turbines | By Bob Boughner, Chatham Daily News | Monday, April 8, 2013 | www.theobserver.ca
The latest attempt to halt the proliferation of wind turbines across the province has the support of Lambton-Kent-Middlesex MPP Monte McNaughton.
The MPP intends to support MPP Lisa Thompson’s “ensuring affordable energy act” bill when it comes to a vote April 18 at Queen’s Park.
“Tim Hudak and the PCs are the only party fighting to halt further wind turbine development,” McNaughton said Monday.
He said he’s heard from thousands of residents from across his riding telling him loud and clear they would like a pause, a moment to stop and consider the developments prior to more shovels breaking ground.
Thompson’s bill contains six pillars:
• wind turbines will only be placed in willing host communities and municipalities will be given full veto over wind turbine projects in their communities.
• wind power must be affordable meaning the cost per kilowatt hour must line up with other sources of generation.
• the costly feed-in tariff program will be eliminated.
• municipalities will have the ability to decide whether or not they want to promote wind energy.
• the Niagara Escarpment and the Oak Ridges Moraine will be protected from wind turbines.
• municipalities will receive back their planning powers from renewable energy.
McNaughton said his party intends to wind down the province’s feed-in tariff program, immediately halting all new projects still in the approval stage and stop contracting for power that isn’t needed at prices Ontario residents can’t afford.
“In her throne speech, Premier Kathleen Wynne said she supported local communities having their say on energy projects,” said McNaughton. “I’m expecting her and her Liberal colleagues to be true to their word and vote to support this bill. It’s the right thing to do.”
[rest of article available at source]
URL to article: https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2013/04/09/lambton-kent-middlesex-mpp-monte-mcnaughton-says-he-has-heard-from-thousands-of-residents/