We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to set up an independent working party of acousticians and medical experts to fully explore the problems of wind turbine noise and the health consequences as ETSU-R-97, the measurement presently used, is invalid and does not protect our communities from unbearable noise pollution.
Submitted by Julie Hauserman of Appleton Wiske
Deadline to sign up by: 16 April 2010
ETSU-R-97 is woefully out of date for measuring noise generated by current wind turbines & not fit for purpose and any wind turbine development planned or proposed using ETSU-R-97 should be cancelled immediately.
- 12 years out of date based on smaller turbines (15-30 metres) versus today’s 125 – 130 metre turbines and 2 ++ megawatts installed capacity!!
- did not conduct an independent study
- did not fulfil promise to update the findings in 1999
- quotes WHO which they used to calculate night time noise levels written THIRTY years ago
- is more appropriate for measuring noisy urban locations than for quiet rural locations where many onshore turbines are planned.
- is the only guideline that suggests a higher noise level at night!
- does not specify maximum noise permitted!!!!!
- does not account noisy wind shear associated with current tall turbines.
- ignores WHO Guidelines for Community Noise 1999
- does not protect our communities from unbearable noise pollution
- ignores Parliament enacting the Human Rights Act 1998