[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]


[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

View headlines only
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Wind Power News: Australia

RSSAustralia

These news and opinion items are gathered by National Wind Watch to help keep readers informed about developments related to industrial wind energy. They are the products of the organizations or individuals noted and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of National Wind Watch.


November 9, 2017 • Australia, FrancePrint storyE-mail story

CQ family’s heartache at wind farm plans on unmarked graves

Military blood runs deep in Patricia Laws’ family history. So when news broke of unmarked graves being disturbed on a historic French battlefield, her blood boiled. On Tuesday, a French newspaper announced plans to build a giant wind farm on the site of the Battle of Bullecourt fought in WWI. Six turbines are said to be installed in the midst of where thousands of dead Australians are thought to still lay in unmarked graves from the brutal battle. Around 10,000 . . . Complete story »


November 9, 2017 • Australia, FrancePrint storyE-mail story

French hear Bullecourt battlefield wind farm concerns

A senior French government official will write a letter of concern about plans to build a giant wind turbine farm on a World War I battlefield, after descendants of the thousands of Australians who died – and the Australian government – were outraged by the proposal. Veterans Affairs Minister Dan Tehan said he had spoken to Genevieve Darrieussecq, France’s secretary of state to the Minister for Armed Forces, about plans to build six turbines on the battle of Bullecourt site. There were . . . Complete story »


November 9, 2017 • Australia, EditorialsPrint storyE-mail story

Battlefield no site for wind farm

Almost a century after the gunfire ceased on the Western Front, the people of France and Belgium have remained wholehearted in honouring the memories of the “Australian men who came from the bottom of the world to fight and who died here”, as a teacher at L’Ecole Victoria (the Victoria School) in the village of Villers-Bretonneux put it last year. It is no surprise, then, that many citizens of Bullecourt in northern France are as incensed as Australians by the . . . Complete story »


November 9, 2017 • Australia, France, OpinionsPrint storyE-mail story

Wind farm in France an affront to our Western Front fallen

Lieutenant Leslie Mullett was killed leading his platoon into a maelstrom of German machine-gun fire on the morning of April 11, 1917. The 25-year-old draughtsman from East Malvern in Victoria was shot dead in his first major action on the Western Front as troops from the 4th Australian Division engaged the Germans in a bitter close-quarters fight for a position known as the Hindenburg Line near the village of Bullecourt in northern France. Such was the intensity of the fighting . . . Complete story »


November 9, 2017 • Australia, EditorialsPrint storyE-mail story

Coronial inquiry will address unanswered questions over Currandooley fire

The grass may be growing back around Tarago and Mount Fairy, but looks can be deceptive. The devastating January 17 Currandooley fire destroyed valuable pasture, core breeding stock, structures and livelihoods. Tim De Mestre’s Merigan property was one of the most heavily affected when fire tore through most of his 950-acre holding, destroyed windbreaks, 30km of fencing and injuring stock. Thankfully, the homestead was saved. Almost 10 months on, Mr De Mestre told the Post the farm had been slow . . . Complete story »


November 9, 2017 • Australia, France, U.K.Print storyE-mail story

Fury over ‘outrageous’ plan to erect wind farms on major First World War battlefield in France

France has been criticised over an “outrageous” plan to build a six-turbine wind farm on a First World War battlefield where thousands of British and Australian soldiers were killed. The proposal by French energy firm Engie Green to develop the turbines near the small farming village of Bullecourt has prompted a barrage of criticism in Australia and led to calls for the federal government to voice its objections directly to French president Emmanuel Macron. During two battles in April and . . . Complete story »


November 8, 2017 • Australia, FrancePrint storyE-mail story

Brendan Nelson pleads with France over wind farm proposed near WWI digger battle site

The director of the Australian War Memorial is pleading with French authorities to rethink building a proposed wind farm near the site of one of the most significant battles in Australian military history. There are plans to build six turbines near the scene of two 1917 battles during World War I that led to thousands of Australian casualties. War Memorial director and former Liberal defence minister Brendan Nelson said Australia should be consulted before any plans to build the wind . . . Complete story »


November 8, 2017 • AustraliaPrint storyE-mail story

Mystery surrounds collapse of wind turbine head at Austalian Antarctic Division’s Mawson research station

An Antarctic research station is relying on diesel generators after a wind turbine collapsed overnight. The Australia Antarctic Division has reported that the head of the turbine fell to the ground about 9pm at Mawson research station. No one was injured in the incident. Dr Rob Wooding, AAD general manager of support and operations, said all expeditioners were safely inside the living quarters at the time. “While Mawson can experience regular blizzards, the conditions over the last few days have . . . Complete story »


November 8, 2017 • Australia, FrancePrint storyE-mail story

Anger at wind farm plan for WWI battlefield

RSL members have expressed outrage at reports wind turbines could be built on the site of a World War I battlefield where Diggers are buried. There are reports a giant wind farm could be constructed where the two Western Front battles of Bullecourt in northern France were fought 100 years ago. The battles resulted in more than 10,000 Australian casualties. The president of RSL NSW, James Brown, told Nine.com.au he had received calls from members deeply concerned at the reports. . . . Complete story »


November 8, 2017 • Australia, FrancePrint storyE-mail story

France asked to explain battlefield wind farm proposal

The Turnbull government will seek urgent discussions with the French government over a proposal to build a wind farm on a French field where dead Australian diggers are thought to lie after the World War I battle of Bullecourt. Veterans Affairs Minister Dan Tehan said he would speak with his French counterpart to obtain clarity on the proposal. “I spoke to her six weeks ago we had a really good conversation about the need for our countries’ need to continue . . . Complete story »


« Later PageHomeEarlier Page »

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter