[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Nation Rise opponents left twisting in the wind at EOHU Cornwall office  

Credit:  Todd Hambleton | Cornwall Standard-Freeholder | Jun 16, 2022 | www.standard-freeholder.com ~~

Two fierce opponents of the controversial Nation Rise Wind Farm in North Stormont were surprised Thursday morning to find out an Eastern Ontario Health Unit board meeting they wanted to attend had been cancelled.

Surprised, but not that surprised, agreed Ruby Mekker – spokesperson for the group opposed to the windmills – and Tammy McRae, a former municipal politician in North Stormont, who travelled to Cornwall and to the EOHU headquarters on Sydney Street hoping to be a part of the meeting.

“We were expecting this might be the case because they don’t want to address the seriousness of the situation,” said Mekker, who’s continued to lead the battle against the wind farm even though it’s been operational for over a year.

Standing near the main entrance to the building just before they expected the 9:30 a.m. meeting to begin, an EOHU employee came outside to tell the pair the meeting had been cancelled, information that they should have received by email last week. Both McRae and Mekker told the woman they had not received any email that contained any cancellation information.

The EOHU employee, describing her role in the situation as “just a messenger at this point,” told Mekker and McRae she had no information on when the meeting would be rescheduled, and that they should contact the EOHU’s Manon Carriere for any updates.

But Mekker quickly responded, saying “there’s no point in sending an email if the person is not going to answer. I also left three (phone messages requesting to be present at the meeting), none were returned.”

Said McRae: “You can understand our frustration with all these emails and calls – it’s like we’re being completely snubbed.”

A bit later, Mekker after the EOHU employee returned inside, produced for reporters a printout of emails and voice messages to various board members and EOHU officials from the last two weeks that appear to have mostly not been responded to.

But not long afterwards, Cornwall Coun. and EOHU board chair Syd Gardiner walked outside the building, approached the two women and had a conversation that went on for several minutes.

All parties held their ground during the cordial but moderately uncomfortable chat, Gardiner early on saying he reads the emails he receives from wind farm opponents pointing out what they say are the health ramifications associated with the turbines, and they then get sent to the deleted bin, and that he feels the electronic onslaught is a form of harassment.

McRae responded, saying “we’ve been polite. . .we just want some answers. We have ongoing proof, from continuing investigations, (copies of) letters from people experiencing health issues. You need to acknowledge us, talk to us.”

Said Gardiner: “I can’t give you an answer because I’m not a doctor.”

Gardiner shortly after the conversation began told the women the board meeting is now slated for 9 a.m. on June 23, and that he didn’t think they would be allowed to attend. Gardiner initially indicated the meeting next Thursday would be at the EOHU building, but then added that it was possible it would be a virtual meeting held over Zoom.
Article content

Mekker told Gardiner something she had said several times earlier in the morning, that it’s an issue of governance, and that “we just want to speak to the board” and should be allowed to do so.

More specifically, Mekker said wind farm opponents have wanted, since 2020, for EOHU medical officer of health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis to retract a letter he wrote several years ago to the Township of North Stormont that included the statement that there are no health risks associated with the wind farm.

The 29-turbine wind farm had construction conclude early in the spring of 2021. The project was allowed to go ahead after lengthy legal proceedings saw the permit for the operation restored after the then-minister of the environment cancelled it due to environmental concerns over the negative effects on local bat populations.

Source:  Todd Hambleton | Cornwall Standard-Freeholder | Jun 16, 2022 | www.standard-freeholder.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

 Follow: