Chatham-Kent has agreed to provide baseline water testing for wells near the Otter Creek Wind Farm and petition the province to protect wells as a water source.
The Wallaceburg Area Wind Concerns group spoke before council at Monday night’s meeting to seek protection for the wells in the area near the Otter Creek Wind Farm project north of the community.
The following motion was created based on the presentation and approved at the meeting:
1. Council extend the baseline testing, at cost to the municipality to be reimbursed by the developer, to include the wells within the proposed Otter Creek Wind Farm area
2. Council direct administration to write to the Province of Ontario to:
• Protect water wells as a water source
• Utilize the precautionary principle and investigate turbine installation and operation as possible threats to the aquifer in all of Chatham-Kent, including North Kent and Otter Creek.
• Protect Chatham-Kent from future turbine developments that could impact water sources
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding