[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Get weekly updates

when your community is targeted


RSS feeds and more

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate via Stripe

Donate via Paypal

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Campaign Material

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

Wind Watch is a registered educational charity, founded in 2005.

News Watch Home

Distraught family of Ayrshire security guard who died in wind farm blizzard fear he wasn’t given satellite phone for emergencies 

Credit:  By Laura Murray | The Scottish Sun | 7th March 2018 | www.thescottishsun.co.uk ~~

The distraught family of a security worker who died when a blizzard engulf­ed a windfarm have demanded answers amid fears he wasn’t issued an emergency phone.

Ronnie Alexander, 74, became trapped in heavy snow on Afton wind farm in Ayrshire when severe weather struck earlier this year.

Daughter Tracy, 48, said Ronnie, who was “fit and healthy”, lay frozen in a drift for “hours and hours” after the whiteout on January 21.

She said she was plagued with worry as she heard rumours that workers had not been issued with satellite phones to raise an alarm in an emergency.

And she questioned whether anyone should have been working on the site in such hazardous weather conditions.

It came as the Met Office issued a yellow “be aware” warning for heavy snow across large areas of Scotland.

Ronnie was airlifted to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary but passed away from severe hypothermia.

Tracey shared how the death of her “lovely, hard-working” father had devastated the family.

She told the BBC: “My mum is in bits, as is my sister and her family and my sons.

“We really need to know exactly what happened, we don’t want this happening again.

“It’s horrible knowing that my dad, who was such a fit, healthy man, died like this. It should never have happened.”

Now the family are seeking answers over whether the next shift raised the alarm when they were unable to start work.

Ms Fraser said: “I want answers. It’s not going to bring my dad back.

“I want to know what happened so it never, ever happens to any other family because it’s absolutely broke my heart.”

The CSM Facilities workers are understood to have lost heating and light during a power cut in the snow storm.
Cops were alerted to the pensioner’s sub-zero ordeal at 8.50pm but he lay stra­nded until 1.30am.

Ronnie was married to Mary, 77, and had daughters, Tracy and Laura, 45. He had worked with CSM for 11 months.

Cops and the Health and Safety Executive have launched a probe into the tragedy.

Source:  By Laura Murray | The Scottish Sun | 7th March 2018 | www.thescottishsun.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial educational effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
   Donate via Stripe
(via Stripe)
Donate via Paypal
(via Paypal)


e-mail X FB LI M TG TS G Share

Tag: Accidents

News Watch Home

Get the Facts
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.


Wind Watch on X Wind Watch on Facebook Wind Watch on Linked In

Wind Watch on Mastodon Wind Watch on Truth Social

Wind Watch on Gab Wind Watch on Bluesky