[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Some turbines back online near tower collapse site  

Credit:  22 of 52 turbines in Raleigh Wind Power facility returned to service | By Ellwood Shreve, Chatham Daily News | Wednesday, February 14, 2018 | www.chathamdailynews.ca ~~

An industrial wind turbine in south Chatham-Kent last Friday morning, hours after it buckled. It’s collapse was triggered widespread interest; the Canadian Wind Energy Association says it’s just the second time such an incident has occurred in Canada, among 6,400 turbines. (Tom Morrison/Postmedia Network)

The owner of a wind farm in south Chatham-Kent where a turbine tower toppled, says part of the facility is now back online.

“After a full review by independent, third-part professionals, as well as our own engineering team, 22 turbines at the facility have been returned to service to date,” said statement from TerraForm Power, owner of the Raleigh Wind Power facility.

“We continue to make progress in our full site inspection, which we expect to complete in the coming weeks,” concluded the statement.

No information was provided regarding if it has been determined why the turbine tower collapsed in the early morning of Jan. 19.

The 52-turbine facility went off line as a precaution after the turbine tower collapsed.

There were no injuries resulting from the incident and Chatham-Kent police previously sated no foul play is suspected in the incident.

The company told The Daily News in late January that it expected to have a portion of the wind farm return to regular operations in two weeks.

The Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change previously told The Daily News it is “taking this incident very seriously.

“We are actively monitoring the situation and will ensure that the company determines the cause of the incident,” the ministry added.

The ministry has also requested a report from the company about the cause of collapse when their assessment is complete.

There has been no indication about whether the report will be made public.

South Kent Coun. Karen Herman, who went to the site of the collapse on the day it happened, indicated that answers should be provided while talking to local media on Jan. 19.

“We need to find out what happened,” she said. “I can’t imagine this being a normal occurrence.”

[rest of article available at source]

Source:  22 of 52 turbines in Raleigh Wind Power facility returned to service | By Ellwood Shreve, Chatham Daily News | Wednesday, February 14, 2018 | www.chathamdailynews.ca

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter