[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Talks ‘positive’ with French officials over wind farm plan  

Credit:  MP Dan Tehan confident World War I battlefield will be protected from wind farm | Jenny McLaren | Ararat Advertiser | November 14 2017 | www.araratadvertiser.com.au ~~

Australia’s bid to block a wind farm project from being built on World War 1 French battlefields where the remains of thousands of Aussie Diggers lie has strengthened with the backing of the French Government.

France will make a formal submission on Australia’s behalf to the public inquiry into French company Engie Green’s proposal to build six turbines on the sensitive Bullecourt battlefields of the former Western Front.

France’s Ambassador to Australia Christophe Penot will also raise Australia’s concerns with the head of the Pas-de-Calais prefecture, which has authority for the project.

It is understood he has also spoken directly to Engie Green.

Veterans Affairs Minister and Wannon MP Dan Tehan said he was “absolutely reassured and comforted” by the French response.

“I think the indications are positive that our concerns will win the day,” he said.

Mr Tehan discussed the wind farm proposal during a 15-minute phone conversation on Thursday night with France’s junior Minister for Armed Forces, Genevieve Darrieussecq.

He had further talks on Friday with Mr Penot.

“I have been absolutely reassured and comforted by the response from the minister and the ambassador and for their words of support and understanding,” Mr Tehan said.

“From a national perspective, the French Government understands our sensitivities and will seek to do what they can to support our efforts.

“I am confident we will get the right outcome.”

Ms Darrieussecq’s written submission on Australia’s behalf to the wind farm public inquiry would express Australia’s concerns around the sensitivities of the issue, and the importance to Australians of those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice at Bullecourt a century ago, Mr Tehan said.

He was further reassured by Mr Penot that there were other avenues open to Australia for objection to the proposal.

Mr Tehan earlier this week vowed to do everything in his power to block the turbines following growing public concern about the impact of the project on the resting place of thousands of Australian soldiers who died in the two bloody Battles of Bullecourt in April and May of 1917.

Source:  MP Dan Tehan confident World War I battlefield will be protected from wind farm | Jenny McLaren | Ararat Advertiser | November 14 2017 | www.araratadvertiser.com.au

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter