[ exact phrase in "" ]

[ Google-powered ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

New inquiry into Mid Wales wind farm plans unlikely to happen, claims MP Glyn Davies  

Credit:  Shropshire Star | October 4, 2016 | www.shropshirestar.com ~~

A possible new public inquiry into plans for two wind farms in Mid Wales is unlikely to happen, it has been claimed.

Glyn Davies, MP for Montgomeryshire, has spoken as the consultation into proposals to build the wind farms at Llanbrynmair and Carnedd Wen closes today.

The plans were thrown out by the government last year, but could be reprieved as inspectors have been looking at representations from councils, developers and energy firms.

The Government expert looking at the plans said secretary of state Greg Clark will soon decide whether to re-open the inquiry, or make a decision based on plans from the written statements handed in.

In September last year, both plans were thrown out by the Government’s Department for Energy and Climate Change. However, the two developers behind the plans – RWE Innogy and RES – called for a judicial review when the decisions were quashed in December, meaning both applications now need to be re-determined.

But Mr Davies has dismissed the notion that the inquiry could reopen, and said regardless of what Mr Clark decides, the change in the subsidies for on-shore wind farms could also have a bearing on whether the wind farms would go ahead even if granted permission.

He said: “I think no matter what the Secretary of State decides they probably can’t go ahead because of having no access for subsidies for onshore energy.

“Also National Grid has refused to tell us what commitment to connect there must be from wind farm operators to trigger building of the 400Kv line from Shropshire to Cefn Coch. They refuse point blank to disclose a trigger point.”

Mr Davies said the inquiry had “exhausted” people and said all the evidence was already in from it.

He added: “I’m still hopeful that the secretary of state will confirm what he did from the previous update.”

The two developments had sparked a number of objections, along with protests and campaigns.

A total of 30 turbines are planned for Llanbrynmair and 50 turbines at Carnedd Wen to form part of one large windfarm stretching 8km north to south and being 4.5km wide in some places.

Last week, Jonathan Wilkinson, from Montgomeryshire Against Pylons, said the campaign group had sent objections to re-opening the inquiry.

He said: “The consultation period is drawing to an end. We have put more evidence in to the secretary of state for industry, energy and industrial strategy, Greg Clarke to defend our position.

“We know have to wait and see what the outcome is.”

Mr Wilkinson said the change in the subsidies for green energy could also have a bearing on whether the wind farms would go ahead if granted permission.

The two planned windfarms had sparked a number of objections along with protests.

A total of 30 turbines are planned for Llanbrynmair and 50 turbines at Carnedd Wen to form part of one large windfarm which would stretch 8km north to south and being 4.5km wide in some places.

Source:  Shropshire Star | October 4, 2016 | www.shropshirestar.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User contributions

Share:


« Later PostNews Watch HomeEarlier Post »

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Formerly at windwatch.org.

HOME
Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share