[ exact phrase in "" ]

[ Google-powered ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Masked gunmen threaten workers at Carrickmore wind farm site  

Credit:  Brendan Hughes | The Irish News | 10 November, 2015 | www.irishnews.com ~~

Workers have withdrawn from a wind farm project in Co Tyrone after being threatened by masked gunmen.

Two men wielding firearms drove to the site outside Carrickmore on Thursday evening and threatened staff.

One of the gunmen, who was wearing a balaclava, reportedly ordered workers to leave the site within 24 hours and not return.

As the pair left they were also thought to have threatened a local man who owns the land where the wind farm is being constructed.

Police have launched an investigation into the incident, which happened at about 5pm off the Whitebridge Road at Gortfinbar.

Staff from Omagh-based firm Alexander Civil Engineering had been working at the wind farm site, located about three miles from Carrickmore.

Cranes were seen removing its machinery from the site on Friday, according to the Tyrone Herald.

The company yesterday refused to comment on the nature of the threat against its staff or whether it would be returning to the site.

Five wind turbines are planned for the site, according to an approved planning application.

Sinn Féin councillor Sean Donnelly, who owns farmland next to the site, condemned the threats from the gunmen.

“They said the construction company had 24 hours to leave the site but gave no reason. It was completely out of the blue,” he said.

“They didn’t say if they were from any paramilitary group, they didn’t make any financial demands – they gave no reason for it.”

Several wind farms have already been constructed near the Gortfinbar site including a nearby Crocknagarron site containing six turbines.

A PSNI spokesman said: “Detectives are investigating an incident at commercial premises on the Whitebridge Road, Carrickmore, on Thursday November 5.

“Two men, armed with firearms, were reported to have entered the premises at around 5pm and threatened members of staff. Nothing was taken during the incident and enquiries are ongoing at present.”

Police appealed for anyone with information to contact detectives in Omagh on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Source:  Brendan Hughes | The Irish News | 10 November, 2015 | www.irishnews.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User contributions

Share:


« Later PostNews Watch HomeEarlier Post »

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Formerly at windwatch.org.

HOME
Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share