Campaigners are fighting to block a ‘monstrosity’ of a 100m high wind turbine being erected near to an east Cleveland village.
The scheme, near to Kilton Thorpe, was thrown out by Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council’s planning committee but the applicant has taken his challenge to the Planning Inspectorate.
More than 20 protesters turned out for the start of the two-day hearing in Guisborough to express their concerns about the impact the turbine would have on their lives.
This morning (Wednesday, April 29), ward councillor Steve Kay hit out at the application, saying: “Let’s face it, you are not trying to save the planet, you are trying to make money at our expense.”
Setting out the case on behalf of appellant Stephen Carroll of GHF Energy, Rachel Allum told the planning inspector, Andrew Hammond, that the scheme would only have a low level of impact on the community and maintained it would bring benefits to the area.
After pointing out a similar proposal in the area had been passed on appeal, she said: “The current proposal is acceptable and by an even greater margin than the application which was allowed.”
Cllr Kay said the current application is much taller than the one that was granted, describing it as a ‘monstrosity’.
He said: “It is totally unacceptable, it is totally inappropriate in the area and is a monstrosity.”
The outcome of the appeal will be announced in due course.