[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

when your community is targeted

Get weekly updates

RSS feeds and more

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate via Stripe

Donate via Paypal

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Campaign Material

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

Wind Watch is a registered educational charity, founded in 2005.

News Watch Home

Chapmanslade campaigners celebrate as wind turbine plans rejected 

Credit:  By Stefan Mackley | This Is Wiltshire | 23rd April 2015 | www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk ~~

Protesters in Chapmanslade are delighted after an application to build a wind turbine at Thoulstone Farm was rejected.

Wiltshire Council turned down the application from Swansea-based developers Seren Energy to build an 87 metre wind turbine at the farm on a number of grounds.

These centred on the turbine causing substantial harm to the wider setting including the Grade II listed building Thoulstone Farmhouse and Scheduled Monument, Cley Hill.

It also found that a public right of way had been incorrectly identified, that not enough information was given on noise levels and that an ‘alien form of vertical structure’ would be out of character for the area.

Tim Page, spokesman for the Stop Thoulstone Farm Wind Turbine Group, said: “I’m absolutely delighted by the decision because it’s a victory for common sense and a victory for the community.

“I thought it was a bad application as it didn’t address a few issues and that it’s always been a bad place to try and build a wind turbine so it didn’t really make sense.

“We must be on our guard though as they have six months to appeal and things could change after the election.”

Up to 425 metres of new hedgerow was also proposed at the 200 acre farm and the report estimated that the turbine would be able to generate enough electricity for 362 homes every year.

Seren Energy had previously stated that the application was done in partnership with the Welch family at Thoulstone Farm, with the family owning 80 per cent of the scheme and Seren Energy owning the other 20 per cent.

Mary Medhurst, a resident of Chapmanslade, said: “I think everyone is delighted and we really felt that the proposal was not going to be successful.

“There was probably only half a dozen people in favour of the wind turbine and it proves that when people stick together they can make a difference.”

Phil Jefferson, chairman of Chapmanslade Parish Council, said: “We knew this had to be the correct decision for the council to take as for a wind turbine to be placed there wouldn’t work.

“The last 12 months have been really difficult for the village but it has brought the community together so that’s the positive to have come out of this.”

Source:  By Stefan Mackley | This Is Wiltshire | 23rd April 2015 | www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial educational effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Contributions
   Donate via Stripe
(via Stripe)
Donate via Paypal
(via Paypal)


e-mail X FB LI M TG TS G Share

Tag: Victories

News Watch Home

Get the Facts
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.


Wind Watch on X Wind Watch on Facebook Wind Watch on Linked In

Wind Watch on Mastodon Wind Watch on Truth Social

Wind Watch on Gab Wind Watch on Bluesky