[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Controversial pylon plans for Shropshire and Mid Wales put on ice for a year, say campaigners  

Credit:  April 9, 2015, shropshirestar.com ~~

Montgomeryshire Against Pylons say they have been told National Grid will not submit plans for its Mid Wales Connection Project until mid-2016 rather than later this year as planned.

National Grid did not confirm or deny the delay, but said the process of making the application will take “many months.”

Jonathan Wilkinson, leader of Montgomeryshire Against Pylons, said it is a huge boost to the campaign against the project, which would see a large substation built in Mid Wales and a 30-mile power line linking it to the national supply at Lower Frankton, near Ellesmere.

Mr Wilkinson said the news is another boost following last week’s leaked report which claimed only three of five planned wind farms for Mid Wales are set to be given the go ahead by the government following the General Election.

The plans include building a 16-acre substation at Cefn Coch, near Llanfair Caereinion, and the power line would be carried overhead by pylons or underground through the Meifod Valley and into Shropshire.

Mr Wilkinson said: “I have been assured by those in the know that National Grid will now not submit the plans until the second or third quarter of 2016, rather than the same period this year.

“This is a significant development from out point of view and one that we will look on favourably.

“If last week’s leaked report is correct, which I believe to be the case, then only three of the five windfarms planned for the area and subject of the planning inquiry will get the go ahead. This would be a blow to the developers and also hit the National Grid’s plans.

“The news that they will now not put the planning application in this year is another hint that the leaked report is correct. This is big news for our campaign and I would welcome anything that delayed or damages their plans.”

Jane Taylor, spokeswoman for National Grid, said the company is carefully looking at feedback given during the most recent consultation process which ended earlier this year.

She said more news will be announced later this year.

She said: “Following our consultation, we’re now looking carefully at all of the feedback we’ve received. We know people feel strongly about our work and we’re reviewing our proposals to take account of what people have told us to see if there are ways to improve them.

“The work to refine our proposals so we are ready to make our applications for planning consent will take many months. We keep our proposals under review to make sure they remain appropriate and to ensure we’re working to suitable timescales and we’ll keep people up to date with our work in the coming months.”

Source:  April 9, 2015, shropshirestar.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter