[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


News Home

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

GE turbine partially collapses at Kansas wind farm owned by Enel Green Power  

Credit:  By Mark Del Franco | Tuesday December 23 2014 | nawindpower.com ~~

A GE 1.85 MW turbine with an 87-meter rotor partially collapsed last week at the Buffalo Dunes wind farm, located near Garden City, Kan.

The wind farm is substantially owned by Enel Green Power North America (EGP-NA), which owns 75% of the project. Stamford, Conn.-based GE Energy Financial Services owns the remaining 25%.

According to an EGP-NA spokesperson, no injuries were reported nor did the falling wind turbine further impact any property. It is unclear if weather was the culprit in causing the turbine’s collapse.

“In the morning of Monday, Dec. 15, the wind turbine #D12 at the Buffalo Dunes wind farm failed and partially collapsed,” according to an EGP-NA statement. “The situation was quickly contained, and no injuries resulted. In keeping with our established guidelines, we are working to ensure safety at the affected turbine and determine the cause.”

“At this time, there is no threat to residents around the project, but we ask that all keep a safe distance from the affected turbine so that our safety personnel may conduct assessments and take any required actions as safely and quickly as possible.”

Broomfield, Colo.-based RES Americas served as the general contractor on the project and oversaw construction. Lenexa, Kan.-based TradeWind Energy developed the project before selling it to EGP-NA.

When reached for comment, TradeWind, RES and GE all deferred all queries to EGP-NA.

Buffalo Dunes – the largest wind project completed in the U.S. in 2013 – has been operational since December 2013. For more on the project, click here.

Source:  By Mark Del Franco | Tuesday December 23 2014 | nawindpower.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook


© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.