[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


News Home

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

City signs PILOT agreement for Jericho Power  

Credit:  Written by Barbara Tetreault | The Berlin Daily Sun | Published Date Wednesday, 03 December 2014 | www.berlindailysun.com ~~

BERLIN – The city council has approved a 30-year Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) agreement with Jericho Power, LLC that calls for the city to receive a minimum of $5.18 million for the five wind turbines over the life of the agreement. At its meeting Monday night, the council also approved a decommissioning agreement with Jericho Power that calls for the utility to make annual payments over 50 years to cover the cost of removing the structures.
Jericho Power is in the process of constructing the wind farm and recently the state Executive Council approved $4.1 million in federal energy bonds through the N.H. Business Finance Authority. The cost of constructing the wind project, including the five 2.85-megawatt wind turbines, is estimated at about $35 million.
The PILOT agreement provides for smaller payments in the initial years with the payments increasing over the term of the agreement. In 2017, Jericho Power will pay the city $150,000. In 2036, the final year of the PILOT, the city will receive $725,000.
In addition to the base PILOT payments, the agreement calls for the city to receive additional payments if Jericho Power’s net revenues average over .08 cents per kilowatt hour in any calendar year.
Jericho Power will pay the city $100,000 upon closing of the financing of the project or by Dec. 31, 2014. The city will receive another $150,000 within six months of the wind farm beginning commercial operations.
The PILOT stipulates that if Jericho Power increases the capacity of the wind farm by ten percent or more, the parties will amend the agreement to cover the added generation.
The decommissioning agreement requires Jericho Power, starting in 2016, to make annual payments to a trust fund that will be held by the city and managed by trustees appointed by the city. Jericho Power would make yearly payments of $18,575, except for year 15, when the payment would be $812,118. Mayor Paul Grenier said a third party investment company will aggressively manage the trust fund with Jericho Power paying the management fee as well as a management fee to the city. A schedule included with the agreement estimates that at an interest rate of 5.19 percent, the fund would generate $8.78 million by 2064.
In a public hearing held before the council vote, Grenier said the city spent a lot of time negotiating the agreements. He said the wind farm will significantly add to the city’s tax base. Grenier noted the wind turbines are not visible from 70 percent of the city.
Jericho Power, is a subsidiary of Palmer Management Corporation of Cohasset, Mass. Jericho Power has agreements to sell 70 percent of the power generated to New Hampshire Electric Co-operative and the remaining 30 percent to the Reading Municipal Light Department in Reading, Mass.

Source:  Written by Barbara Tetreault | The Berlin Daily Sun | Published Date Wednesday, 03 December 2014 | www.berlindailysun.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook


© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.