[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Protest group rejects Grid West  

Credit:  By Frances Toner | Mayo Advertiser | Jun 27, 2014 | www.advertiser.ie ~~

The stand off over the Grid West project looks set to intensify with members of the Moy Valley Protection Group now vowing they will fight it all the way, regardless of whether or not the proposed high capacity power lines are sunk underground.

The Moy Valley Protection Group represents six communities along the initial proposed overhead route for 400kv power lines and pylons stretching from Moygownagh in north Mayo to Flagford in Roscommon.

Following considerable community opposition to the proposed overhead power line route for the huge infrastructural upgrade to the electrical grid, Eirgrid announced this week that it is now also considering a new, underground, option.

However, Martin Daly, PRO of the Moy Valley Protection Group, has labelled the entire Grid West project as “not feasible” in any shape or form.

Mr Daly says the project is part of the development of industrial scale windfarms with hundreds of turbines blighting large swathes of rural Mayo.

“It is a white elephant that isn’t feasible and that comes at a terrible cost,” Mr Daly told the Advertiser this week.

“Once you scrutinise this, as we have done with independent energy consultants, you can see it’s just an outragous proposal.

“It’s not carbon neutral, there’s huge amounts of land involved, the energy is too expensive and it is not employment intensive – it is ticking all the wrong boxes.”

The Moy Valley Protection Group is instead calling for a more balanced renewable energy strategy, which is not as intensively focussed on wind energy development.

Independent councillor Seamus Weir, who earlier this year quit the Fine Gael party because of the Government’s policy on the project, issued a cautious welcome for the new underground option.

“I welcome this but I do hope they are seriously considering the underground option, even if it is more costly,” he said.

Cllr Weir will be calling a public meeting in the coming weeks to gauge the community’s reaction to the new underground option.

Mayo Fine Gael TD Michelle Mulherrin also welcomed the publication of the underground routes.

“Clearly, the way this work is being undertaken, it is no remote desk top exercise,” said Deputy Mulherin. “A potential actual route for an underground cable has been identified to fairly compare it with overhead power line plans.”

Source:  By Frances Toner | Mayo Advertiser | Jun 27, 2014 | www.advertiser.ie

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

 Follow: