[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Gardai called as council meeting is disrupted by turbine protest  

Credit:  Carlow People | March 18, 2014 | Updated 19 March 2014 | www.independent.ie ~~

Tempers flared at Carlow County Council headquarters last week as Gardaí were called to the scene to escort irate Old Leighlin residents from the council chambers.

The group had been staging a protest outside the council offices on the Athy Road against a proposed move by Cavan Energy Company Gaeltech to place 21 industrial wind turbines, which would be among the largest on-shore in Europe, in Old Leighlin. The residents of the area have held a number of meetings in relation to the issue and are determined to oppose it by any means necessary.

Twenty anti-turbine representatives attended the meeting at the council chambers last Monday seeking council backing to defer the current planning application for the 21 142m wind turbines.

A spokesperson for the anti-turbine protesters, Tyrone Kelly, said: ‘Even though new national guidelines for wind farms will come on line shortly, the Carlow County Manager refused to even consider deviating from the county strategy, insisting current planning submissions shall be strictly adhered to, regardless of changes to national policy. This is effectively leaving Old Leighlin constituents high and dry and exposed to outdated guidelines.’

Mr Kelly said that several independent councillors dismissed the inputs of other members as insincere and only posturing for political gain for the imminent elections. He said ‘One of the councillors even turned to the gallery saying that they were all being “conned”’.

No arrests were made as a result of the council meeting but a number of the anti-wind turbine protesters were escorted from the premises by Gardaí.

Source:  Carlow People | March 18, 2014 | Updated 19 March 2014 | www.independent.ie

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

 Follow: