Community leaders have criticised the local authority’s stance over wind farms.
They have accused Swansea Council of “double standards” after the Mynydd y Gwair scheme was given the green light.
The controversial 16-turbine wind farm was given the go-ahead by the local authority in February of last year after the plan was resubmitted.
Originally a scheme for 19 turbines was turned down and the new plan was voted through by only three votes.
Councillor Eifion Davies, during a meeting of Pontarddulais Town Council at The Institute in St Teilo Street, said: “I was bitterly disappointed with Swansea Council for supporting this wind farm application.
“Neath Port Talbot has rejected the proposal for wind farms.
“When the application came to Swansea Council for wind farms miles out to sea they rejected it.
“When it was Mynydd y Gwair it went through – I am disappointed with the double standards.”
Pontarddulais mayor David Beynon said they remained totally opposed to the wind farm scheme.
Mr Beynon said: “It’s a bone of contention with us all.
“We are totally opposed to wind farms at the end of the day.
“We are against them in any shape or form – we are still fighting.”
A meeting took place over the Mynydd y Gwair scheme earlier this week, which Pontarddulais Councillor John Miles spoke at and members of the public were urged to go along to.
Mawr Walking Club and Ramblers were also represented at the meeting on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Pontarddulais clerk Aneurin John said a £240,000 pot was available to affected communities if it was to forge ahead.
Mr Miles said: “If the wind farm does go through the £240,000 will go towards the communities affected, including Penllergaer, Pontlliw and Pontarddulais. Mawr will be affected in a different way.”
Mr Davies said he feared the impact that the scheme would have on the local area.
During the meeting, he said: “Is this money blood money? It will decimate Mynydd y Gwair as the Betws landscape is like a lunar landscape.”
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding