[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


News Home

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

Windmill leaf comes off again; GCDA red-faced  

Credit:  Staff Reporter | The Hindu | July 19, 2013 | www.thehindu.com ~~

Hardly three weeks after it was installed with much fanfare, one of the leaves of the windmill at the Marine Drive came off a second time in heavy rain and wind on Thursday afternoon leaving the Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA) with egg on its face.

GCDA chairman N. Venugopal, however, washed his hands of the incident stating that the agency entrusted with setting up the windmill was yet to hand it over to the GCDA officially. “We had made it clear at the outset that we will take possession of the windmill only after it is in working condition. We will not pay the agency till then,” he said.

Mr. Venugopal said the GCDA has asked United Electricals, a Kollam-based public limited company entrusted with the setting up of the windmill, to give it in writing if they did not have the capability to operate and maintain it.

United Electricals, on its part, said while one of the fan leaves did come off, the other two were brought down to avoid any damage to them in the heavy rain.

“Even the one leaf that came off was not due to any defect. In fact, we were working on the windmill and one of our men atop it had loosened that leaf for inspection when heavy rain lashed the area. He could no longer hold on to it and thus it came off,” said Harinarayanan, chief consultant of United Electricals.

Leaving just two of the three leaves would have damaged them and the entire windmill structure. Hence they were brought down, he said. Mr. Harinarayanan said the leaves would be restored on Thursday if the rain stayed off.

He said the company had undertaken the project on a trial basis and would replace it with solar power if the windmill was found unsuccessful. Mr. Venugopal, however, said a solar panel was not practical in the area and the only option left was to draw electrical lines in the conventional manner.

The fan leaves of the windmill, set up at a cost of Rs. 3.90 lakh, had come off on July 6, a day after it was erected. At that time Mr. Venugopal had said that the shortness of the original shaft on which the fan was placed had led to its collapse. Thursday’s incident comes hardly a week after it was restored, rectifying that snag.

The windmill was supposed to generate 10.5 kW of power daily and charge 100 lights along the new Marine Drive walkway from its northern end up to Kinco jetty.

Source:  Staff Reporter | The Hindu | July 19, 2013 | www.thehindu.com

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook


© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.