- National Wind Watch: Wind Energy News - https://www.wind-watch.org/news -

Fears over wind turbine proposal

Villagers are hoping to garner public support to fight plans for wind turbines which they say are threatening to blight their parish.

It comes after renewable energy firm Prowind (UK) resubmitted plans for a turbine off Main Street in Carlton Curlieu.

An application for a 102m-high turbine at the same site was rejected by Harborough District Council last year.

The new bid is for a 77m structure.

Villagers in Burton Overy have also received letters announcing plans for a second, 70m turbine off the A6 between Burton Overy and Great Glen.

People are being invited to two events in Burton Overy organised to discuss Prowind’s plans.

The first is a walk at 9.30am this Saturday in the countryside which they say would be spoilt by the turbine. It will be attended by Harborough MP Sir Edward Garnier and county councillor Kevin Feltham.

A public meeting will then be held at Burton Overy Village Hall on Tuesday at 8pm.

Parish councillor Carolyn Carson said: “The turbine will be visible from Burton Overy, Kibworth, Carlton Curlieu and Great Glen, so residents from all these villages are invited to the meeting to learn more about them.

“Landowners are being offered vast sums of money to allow companies such as Prowind to site the turbines on their lands. A massive motivator, and you can’t blame the landowners for having a go.

“However, these machines are huge. Even at a reduced size, the turbines would still be massive with the potential to impact on the environment in an area that really is totally unspoilt and unchanged for centuries.”

Prowind says the modern 500Kw turbine would use direct drive technology to ‘minimize noise and maximize efficiency’. In its application to the council, the firm states: “We believe that by developing a clean power source we are protecting future generations from the effects of global climate change.”