[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Application for giant wind farm at Meddon withdrawn  

Credit:  North Devon Journal | April 29, 2013 | www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk ~~

An application for a giant wind farm, near Hartland, with five wind turbines taller than St Paul’s Cathedral has been withdrawn by the developer.

The application for the five 126 metre turbines at Harbourcross Land at Meddon was withdrawn from Torridge District Council’s planning system by the developers Wind Ventures Ltd on Thursday.

The application was submitted last year and in the past few months has met fierce objection.

An opposition group called Stop It was set up to stop the proposal going ahead and it was also the first turbine application which Geoffrey Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon, objected to forcing him to say “enough is enough”.

In September last year Mr Cox said: ” There are no fewer than 60 applications currently in the planning system at Torridge.

“Enough is enough, we have to wake up and have a wider debate about the effect these turbines will have on our communities.

“These turbines at Meddon will be taller than St Paul’s Cathedral.”

Adrian Butler, a project manager from Wind Ventures, confirmed the application had been withdrawn last week.

He said: “We have withdrawn the application. Basically from reading and listening to the comments made on the application from members of the public and consultees we have decided the turbines were too high.

“We still think it is a very good site for a wind farm. We will be submitting a new application for a wind farm still consisting of five turbines but they will all be 107 metres in height.

“We have carried out a new environmental impact assessment and believe this is an acceptable scheme.

“We could submit the application by the end of the week.”

David Westcott, who helped set up campaign group Stop It, said the fight is not over.

He added: “We are very pleased we have got to this stage but the fight is not over yet.

“So far we just feel we have done everything right.”

The group has so far spent thousands of pounds on getting reports produced on the site, and has produced leaflets and flyers highlighting the application.

“It just makes me think they were told they didn’t have a chance with them at that height. It is just not a site for turbines”, he added.

Source:  North Devon Journal | April 29, 2013 | www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter