- National Wind Watch: Wind Energy News - https://www.wind-watch.org/news -

Legal stoush brews over Macarthur wind farm

A legal stoush is brewing between contractors involved in the construction of Australia’s largest wind farm.

Three companies behind the $1 billion Macarthur wind farm are at odds over delays and extra costs over the past year, with one business now threatening legal action.

Noske Wind Energy Logistics the freight company responsible for delivering all 140 wind towers is in the early stages of issuing legal proceedings against Leighton Contractors and Keppel Prince in Portland.

The company is seeking nearly $2 million for works it alleges were caused by mismanagement by both Leighton and Keppel Prince.

“Leighton’s (contractors) did not pay the full amount outstanding the company short-paid us $1.8 million,” Noske Logistics executive director Tony Noske said.

However, Noske Wind Energy Logistics, which operated in Portland and was set up as a separate shell company to handle the project, was placed into liquidation last month.

Mr Noske said it was up to the liquidators of the company to seek legal proceedings.

Mr Noske told The Standard there had been no job losses as a result of the wind up and the rest of the company had been unaffected.

“It’s all going on as per normal,” he said.

A spokesman for Leighton Contractors said the company had no outstanding payments to Noske Wind Energy Logistics.

“There is no outstanding debt between Leighton Contractors Pty Ltd and Noske Wind Energy Logistics Pty Ltd all details associated with the contract are commercial in-confidence,” the spokesman said.

Mr Noske said the liquidators would also consider legal action against Keppel Prince in Portland. Keppel Prince managing director Steve Garner described the claims as “ridiculous” and confirmed the Portland manufacturer was involved in talks over the issue.

“Our lawyers are talking to the liquidators,” Mr Garner said.

Wind farm operating partners AGL and Meridian Energy expect the wind farm to be fully operational by February next year.