BREWSTER â€“ The Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound filed an appeal in federal court on Wednesday challenging the recent Federal Aviation Administrationâ€™s â€śno hazardâ€ť determination regarding Cape Windâ€™s proposed wind turbines in Nantucket Sound.
“The FAA ruling shows a complete and utter disregard for public safety and flies in the face of last yearâ€™s decision by the US Court of Appeals in DC to revoke Cape Windâ€™s aviation safety permit,” said Audra Parker, president of the Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound. “Cape Wind would place 130 massive turbines, each over 40 stories tall, in the heart of Nantucket Sound. Itâ€™s abundantly clear to virtually everyone outside of the FAA that it poses serious safety risks to the flying public.”
The Alliance noted the FAAâ€™s new determination comes during a congressional investigation of the FAAâ€™s handling of Cape Wind and before responding to requests for related documents by two powerful Congressmen, Darrell Issa, Chairman Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and John Mica, Chairman Committee Transportation and Infrastructure.
The FAA appears to be stonewalling Congress by failing to comply with a July 31 deadline to answer questions and provide documents related to meetings between the FAA, White House and Cape Wind the Alliance said in a press release.
“The FAA is continuing to bow to political pressure, and in doing so they are putting the safety of countless airplane pilots and passengers at serious risk,” Parker said. â€śOnce again, the agency has ignored very real public safety concerns all for the sake of political expediency.â€ť
“Cape Wind is a financial, environmental and safety threat,â€ť she added. â€śDespite the political favoritism the project continues to receive, its exorbitant cost and ongoing legal challenges make it clear that this project has no real chance of ever being built.â€ť
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding