A 500 KW wind turbine generator installed near Panagudi suffered extensive damage in a fire accident on Sunday evening.
Electrical short-circuit is suspected to be the reason behind the mishap.
According to police sources, fire broke out in the 6-year-old windmill installed at Anna Nagar near Panagudi in the evening.
The wind turbine generator, owned by a Tirunelveli-based beedi manufacturing company, was completely destroyed as the wind velocity was high at that time. Fire fighters tried their level best to douse the flame. Panagudi police are investigating.