[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]



LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Land owner pulls turbine plan; Field withdraws plan for 4-turbine wind farm in Shelburne  

Credit:  By DIANE BRONCACCIO, Recorder staff | The Recorder | www.recorder.com | 23 May 2012 ~~

SHELBURNE – Frederick D. Field has withdrawn his application for a 6-megawatt, four turbine wind farm – possibly putting an end to what has been a running controversy in town for months now.

The withdrawal was received by Town Clerk Beverly Neeley on Tuesday afternoon.

The special permit application withdrawal means, at least, that any new wind turbine proposal could not be considered for at least a year, while the town’s wind turbine moratorium is in effect. And, pending approval from the Attorney General’s Office, a new bylaw banning commercial-scale wind turbines from the town would also put such projects on hold indefinitely.

A hearing was to have been held on Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Buckland-Shelburne Elementary School. This would have been the first opportunity for the ZBA and the public to hear and discuss details of the plan. The Zoning Board of Appeals will still be meeting at the school at 7:30 p.m., and it will discuss what to do regarding the withdrawal and the public hearing, according to ZBA Chairman Joseph Palmeri.

When reached by telephone about an hour after he withdrew the Mount Massaemet Windfarm project, Fred Field of Brimfield said taking the proposal off the table “seemed like the right thing to do.”

“That was the advice I got, to withdraw without prejudice,” he said. “If a bylaw comes along that allows wind turbines, we would reapply.”

Right after hearing the plan was shelved, Palmeri said he was trying to find out what the board’s legal options are.

“I don’t quite know what’s next,” he said. “We may vote to accept the withdrawal. I’m trying to talk to legal counsel now.”

Palmeri said some people want the ZBA to accept the withdrawal “with prejudice,” which would mean Field could not resubmit a new plan for at least two years. “Without prejudice” would mean a new plan could be resubmitted at any time. However, unless the Planning Board’s rejection of a subdivision application for the turbines was appealed and overturned, new plans would fall under the town’s ban and moratorium bylaws.

Palmeri said he wants to follow the proper legal process.

Source:  By DIANE BRONCACCIO, Recorder staff | The Recorder | www.recorder.com | 23 May 2012

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:

Tag: Victories


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter